[Dovecot] pop3_lock_session and NFS

salimlist at sdv.fr salimlist at sdv.fr
Wed Nov 21 23:08:06 EET 2007

Hello,

I need an advice about POP3 and NFS with Dovecot 1.0 (as 1.1 is still
tagged beta) .

I currently have all messages and indexes under a NFS partition . I
thus turned cache off using actimeo=0 .
Of course, my current architecture does not allow me to keep the same
user on the same dovecot server.

Now, I have some NFS issues with high percentages of getattr() .
If I understood well, the cache must be disabled, because of the case
of 2 differents computers could log on the same time and mess up the
index file .

If I use the directive pop3_lock_session and enable it, that should
block conccurent pop3 access using a lock file .
Can I consider it safe enough to turn on the NFS cache (ie removing
actimeo=0) ?

Thanks in advance

Salim

Ps: For you info, we use dovecot here for a big cable broadband ISP,
with 2,000,000 mailboxes using 30 dovecot POP3 servers,10 dovecot
proxy servers and we are really happy with your nice software, we
expect a lot from 1.1 .