[Dovecot] dovecot loading during boot

Robert W Nocella rnocella at ece.unm.edu
Thu Nov 22 06:33:12 EET 2007

I have two RHEL4 email servers running postfix/MailScanner which use
dovecot. They work great. But during bootup the nfslock script in my
init.d loads rpc.statd and calls portmap to get a port number. Portmap
keeps giving rpc.statd the imaps port number (993). I then have to stop my
mail server services, manually start dovecot, then restart the mail server
services and everything goes merrily on its way. Stopping the mail server
services drops rpc.statd from using port 993(according to netstat -tlnp).
This allows dovecot to take it by default. How to I reserve imap and imaps
ports exclusively for use by dovecot. The imap and imaps ports are listed
in /etc/services. Thanks for any insight.

--
Robert W Nocella
Systems Analyst III