[Dovecot] backup dovecot

Mark Adams mark at campbell-lange.net
Fri Nov 23 18:23:13 EET 2007

>> A normal rsync to another server of the maildir and configs will work
>> fine. If you need to backup using windows or mac then a samba share is
>> the best bet.
>>
>> Mark
>>
> Links how to use rsync will be appreciated.

see

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

its very to use. I recommend you use this for ANY file migration between
linux machines (or solaris), mail or otherwise. read up about it at the
page.. a nice little outline is here

http://www.fredshack.com/docs/rsync.html

An example of syncing 2 directories over ssh, keeping all permissions
intact. This command run on the source maildir server.

rsync -av -e"ssh" /source_maildirs/ username at hostname:/destination/maildirs/

Mark.