[Dovecot] migrating from mbox to maildir

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Sat Nov 24 05:48:32 EET 2007

On Friday, November 23 at 01:53 PM, quoth Erick Perez:
>Hi all,
>I have a locking problem in a Centos 4.4 linux machine with the
>following config:
>dovecot-0.99.11-8.EL4

The problem is quite likely one that was fixed in more recent versions
of dovecot. Versions 0.99.x are extremely old (to the point of nearly
being an entirely different product from Dovecot 1.0).

>then someone told me that I need to change dovecot to maildir format.
>Is there a reference to change format?
>Or some comments about this?

Dovecot 0.99.x's Maildir support may have been better than its mbox
support, but that's a bad reason to convert all your mail storage. If
you update your Dovecot to a non-antique version, chances are you'll
fix your problem with much less effort.

If for some reason you are completely stuck with 0.99.x, then yes,
changing to Maildir format is pretty easy, and there are plenty of
conversion scripts out there in the world. Just ask Google. Keep in
mind if the real problem is some bug in Centos that prevents Dovecot
from using locks, then the Maildir conversion may not help much,
because Maildir (in Dovecot) uses locks as well.

~Kyle
--
Man has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally
to make moral decisions. "He must not be forced to act contrary to his