[Dovecot] Questions about deliver log files

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 26 14:56:23 EET 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 00:03 +0100, frank.kintrup at fkware.de wrote:
> I tried to recreate it with deliver by using the variables %h and
> %d/%n, but they are not interpreted when the log file is accessed
> ("Can't open log file /var/vmail/%d/%n/deliver.log: No such file
> or directory"). And there seems to be no way to include a date in
> the file name (but maybe I could use logrotate for that).

v2.0 will have better support for these kind of things, but for now you
could use a dynamically generated config file. Before running deliver
you'd create a config for it using perl or whatever where the log_path
is set like you want it.

> Currently deliver only logs the message id. A user would never
> ask for this (especially if he asks where certain mails were
> stored/discarded), he would ask for the sender's name/email or
> subject. Is the contents of the log file configurable?

Unfortunately not. I added this to my TODO now. It wouldn't be difficult
to modify deliver's sources for this though.