[Dovecot] Embracing .99

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Nov 27 00:28:18 EET 2007

on 11/26/2007 2:19 PM Joe Allesi -X (joallesi - Coyote Creek Consulting at
Cisco) spake the following:
> We're stuck on RHEL 4.x, so we're currently working on a plan to live in
> harmony with .99 for another year or so. With that said, the plan is
> below. Let me know if you have any other recommendations.
>
> [ ]Convert to high-performance mode vice high-security to reduce overall
> resource usage.
> [ ]Implement iptables throttling for new connections to prevent denials
> of service.
> [ ]Covert from mbox to maildir to help reduce the likelihood of
> corruption that lead to mailbox outages.
>
> As our overall individual mailbox usage is low, maildir seems to be a
> good option as mbox corruption has severely impacted a few of our
> high-profile applications. However, does anyone know of a sane method to
> use maildir on RHEL 4.x without switching over to Postfix?
>
> Thanks!

You are not necessarily stuck with .99. You can upgrade dovecot and you only
lose support on Dovecot issues. You can use maildir easily with sendmail also,
as procmail in 4x supports it. You just have to create a procmailrc in /etc
like below;
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/procmail-maildir.html

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...