[Dovecot] Using global und per-user sieve scripts at the same time

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Tue Nov 27 15:19:01 EET 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 04:17:43PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 14:50 +0100, Matthias Kellermann wrote:
> > If a user creates his own .dovecot.sieve file the global script will not
> > work anymore.
> >
> > How can I enable global and local per-user sieve scripts at once? Is
> > this possible?
>
> Unfortunately not. Sieve plugin v1.1 (requires Dovecot v1.1) supports
> include extension, so in per-user scripts they could include the global
> script. It should probably be somewhat easy to do this including
> automatically.
>
> (Actually I'm hoping to offload Sieve development to Stephan Bosch and
> his completely rewritten Sieve code. I don't know when it's going to be
> in a usable state though. And I hope the code's existence wasn't a
> secret.. :)

That is cool... more implementations are better.

FWIW I've liberated (as in, made into a library) my own language
implementation (which includes Sieve as a subset, but can be used at
runtime as Sieve-only and could probably be made Sieve-only at compile
time).  This is an effort I did to help make the language implementation
more standalone and easier to work on.  Currently it's only in a private
area but will likely be used (and thus be availble) in the next
(approximately year-end) release of the package of programs that use
this language.

It would be interesting to have some kind of standard API for Sieve
libraries, but I do wonder how feasible that would be.

mm