[Dovecot] 1.1beta9 'make' fails on osx/Tiger, but OK on osx/Leopard (multiple definitions of symbol _hash_create)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Nov 28 16:30:19 EET 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 06:18 -0800, snowcrash wrote:
> perl -pi -e 's/AC_CHECK_LIB\(mysqlclient,/AC_CHECK_LIB\(mysqlclient_r,/g'
> configure.in
> perl -pi -e 's/mysql_lib=\"\-lmysqlclient \-lz
> \-lm"/mysql_lib=\"\-lmysqlclient_r \-lz \-lm\"/g' configure.in

Doesn't it have -lmysqlclient at all? Should I just add another
-lmysqlclient_r check and use it if -lmysqlclient isn't found?

> setenv LDFLAGS "-L/usr/local/db46/lib -L/usr/local/sqlite/lib
> -lsqlite3 -L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql -L/usr/local/lib -liconv"
..
> iirc, the "--with-sqlite" config option does not take a DIR arg.  so
> to tell it where, LDFLAGS are req'd.

The -L parameters are good enough in there, but isn't -lsqlite3 added
automatically? If not, put it to SQL_LIBS instead if LDFLAGS.

> i might suggest DIR options for spec'n of non-standard install loc'ns
> for each opt. no?

I just wrote about this privately to another guy, here's some
copy&pasting:

Also I think those --with-package=/path parameters' functionality could
be misundertood easily. They don't really specify that the given package
is used from /path. They just modify the generic CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS
environment and let the compiler/linker find the packages wherever they
happen to be first in the path.

Also I could never figure out when compiling other systems what I should
use as the package path. Does the configure script use the given path as
base path for <path>/include and <path>/lib, or does it assume that both
the include and lib files are there or something else? What if I have
the include and lib files in completely different locations?

I've never liked those parameters either as a user or as a developer, so
I doubt I'll ever add them to Dovecot.