[Dovecot] spf record

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Wed Nov 28 20:21:21 EET 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Udo Rader wrote:

> Rick Romero wrote:

>>> Because SPF is a broken hack that doesn't properly accomodate the
>>> forwarding of email without the use of other complicating hacks
>>> such as SRS which mangle the sender address.
>>>
>>> SPF should have been scrapped years ago.  Instead, most large
>>> organizations use "?all" in their SPF entry (typically because of
>>> the
>>> forwarding problem), putting SPF in advisory mode which negates the
>>> whole purpose of having it anyway.
>>
>> I disagree.
>> The only way you should be using SPF on the receiving end is as an
>> additional weight for spam scoring.
>
> Some time ago there was a similar discussion on the postfix ML and
> I had
> pretty much the same arguments that you had.
>
> But as a matter of fact, I got corrected. The major problem with even
> scoring is that the only things spammers have to do (and they
> really do
> it!) is to register some new domain, enter valid SPF records for it
> and
> then their scoring might even improve.

I only give negative points for non-matching records.  No positive
points.  (Unless I misconfigured something, that's how I believe -
and want - it to work).
The idea being that even if the record doesn't match, if it's a valid
email you won't have enough other negatively scoring components to
completely drop it.

If there is a negative match on spam then we're also compensating for
changes in the structure of the email that might get it past bayesian
filters.

If there is no record, or a positive match, then IMHO we're really
neither better nor worse off.

The 'spammers create domains' argument almost negates the sender
verification system entirely - assuming you're giving positive points
for any valid records.

Rick