[Dovecot] Dovecot + OCFS2

Jon Blazquez jblazquez at unav.es
Tue Oct 2 18:46:55 EEST 2007

Hello,
We are running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)
with OCFS2 for our mail servers. There are three nodes in the cluster
with shared storage and OCFS2 filesystem on it. The filesystem
is used for mail storage(using Maildir layout) and is accessed by smtpd,
pop3 and imap processes(DOVECOT).
The system works fine but when there are mailing lists the load
increases dramatically.
It only occurs when there are mailing lists. We have tested it in lab
with good results and now in production we are having some load problems
caused by dovecot´s deliver process.

In lab we had sent lots of mails but always to a few accounts. It was
OK. Now there are sent less mails but there are more accounts.
The load increases until it reaches about 100 and only restart fixes the
problem. The umounting of the OCFS2 filesystem is not possible even when
all process accessing it are killed.
Any suggestions?
TIA

Info:

Three nodes.
OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)
Mailbox format: Maildir
SMTP daemon: Dovecot deliver + Sendmail
OCFS2 version: 1.2.5-6
Kernel Version: 2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp