[Dovecot] time going back

Marcin Gryszkalis mg at fork.pl
Mon Oct 29 04:35:25 EET 2007

On Saturday of October 27 2007, Jeff Grossman wrote:
> > dovecot killing itself because I manually adjusted the clock in the
> > past. Will it not happen in this case?

> A timezone time adjustment is not a problem.  The time one your computer
> is always based on GMT time.  The local time is displayed based on your
> timezone.  It should not have any effect.

btw, while checking results of nightly DST change I re-sync-ed one of my boxes
to ntp server with rdate and got

Oct 28 10:32:48 sas dovecot: Time just moved backwards by 1099 seconds. This
might cause a lot of problems, so I'll just kill myself now.

1099 seconds is ~18 minutes

How much is too much for dovecot?
Do you think using -a on rdate would not cause such effect?

fyi rdate(8):
     -a      Use the adjtime(2) call to gradually skew the local time to the
             remote time rather than just hopping.

regards
--
Marcin Gryszkalis, PGP 0x9F183FA3