[Dovecot] auth_default_realm for different listeners

John Morrissey jwm at horde.net
Wed Sep 5 22:00:19 EEST 2007

We provide POP3 service for several realms, each of which has a substantial
number of users logging in with no realm (bare username). We would like to
use Dovecot, but I haven't been able to findout how to vary
auth_default_realm for each listener.

My most recent attempt was to set up one auth {} block for each realm with a
different auth_default_realm and socket master path. I then set up one
protocol pop3 {} block for each realm, listening on different IP addresses
and with a auth_socket_path corresponding to the auth block for that
listener.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here, but I'm seeing two problems:

1. When dovecot starts, I get:

Sep  5 18:32:21 pop01 dovecot: auth(otherdomain): Socket already exists:
/var/run/dovecot/auth-otherdomain

for each additional auth {} block.

2. dovecot won't start with auth_socket_path specified in a protocl pop3 {}
   block:

   Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 654: Unknown
   setting: socket_path

Is there a way to vary auth_default_realm for each listener, so I can have
multiple realms log in with bare usernames?

thanks,
john
--
John Morrissey          _o            /\         ----  __o