[Dovecot] securing dovecot proxy connections

WJCarpenter bill-dovecot at carpenter.ORG
Thu Sep 6 00:01:41 EEST 2007

wjc> Is there a way to configure dovecot's internal proxy connections
wjc> to use STARTTLS or some other SSL/TLS level of security?
wjc> (Without a

mmj> Just create encrypted tunnel between the peers and send your
mmj> traffic through it.  IPSec, ssh etc..

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had thought of that, but all my
front-end servers are also back-end servers.  (I'm just letting the
users come in on any server -- usually the correct one -- and want to
transparently connect them to the correct back-end if they happen to
come into the wrong server.)  So, even with just 5 servers, that's 20
tunnels to keep afloat through reboots, etc.  In principle no problem,
but it's a lot of balls in the air.