[Dovecot] imap process consuming 100% CPU (Dovecot 1.0.3)

Robert Tomanek rth23 at poczta.onet.pl
Fri Sep 7 21:46:42 EEST 2007

Hello Jackie,

>>   Jackie, is there a chance you could confirm my doubts by doing what
>>   I did in <mid:1799018363.20070903123736 at poczta.onet.pl> and the
>>   original message? This way we would be sure we are talking about the
>>   same problem cause here since 'Dovecot hangs' sounds a bit generic.
>>   I think the stack trace and the variable values should be enough to
>>   confirm it.
> Sorry, don't know about the mid: protocol.  Not sure how to get to the
> reference you sent.  From your email it looks like gdb has the ability
> to attach to a running process.  We have dbx which I don't believe
> can do that.  It would be nice to confirm our issues are the same though.
> What I'd really like is to find a way to recreate the problem.

  Sorry for being unclear -- mid is simply a Message-Id (my e-mail
  client supports directly referencing messages this way; in any case,
  it's a part of message headers so you can uniquely identify a
  message this way). In this case, I meant my message sent on
  about the infinite loop.

  Recreating the problem would be great, I hope you will be more
  successful than I am -- no idea so far. Should be easier for you
  since you probably have more users with real-life e-mail usage
  scenarios. Let us know if you get any progress here.

  As for debugging, Brian (see previous e-mail in thread) mentioned
  attaching to a process is similar with dbx. I've never used dbx but
  a quick search in Google suggests it is pretty easy to use and
  similar to gdb. Your mileage may vary, though :)

--
Best regards,
 Robert Tomanek                           mailto:rth23 at poczta.onet.pl