[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.0.3: mbox problems for newly created users

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Sep 9 06:36:22 EEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 12:21 +0200, Bernd Kuhls wrote:
> Now I create a new message in Thunderbird and save it as draft. A zero
> byte file "Drafts" is created in /home/$user/.imap_mail/ but the message
> I wanted to save got _lost_, /home/$user/.imap_mail/Drafts stays at zero
> bytes. The next message I try to save as draft finds its way to the Drafts
> mbox however.

Did you check what commands Thunderbird sends? Use e.g. rawlog
(http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html). I don't think snarf plugin should
cause this, and in general I can't think of a bug in Dovecot that would
cause this.

I'm guessing what happens is:

C: 1 APPEND Drafts {...}
S: 1 NO [TRYCREATE] Mailbox doesn't exist.
C: 2 CREATE Drafts
S: 2 OK

Maybe at that point Thunderbird doesn't bother to try again anymore.

> Please note that no /home/$user/.imap_mail/inbox has been created although
> a inbox is shown in Thunderbird. When I move the saved message from Drafts
> to the inbox folder shown in Thunderbird, it gets saved in /var/mail/$user
> instead of /home/$user/.imap_mail/inbox, I guess this is due to the use
> of the mbox_snarf plugin, right?

Right. If you want .imap_mail/inbox to be used always, either change the
mbox snarf code (remove stat(mstorage->snarf_inbox_path, &st) check) or
make sure to create the file when creating new users.

> If I manually create /home/$user/.imap_mail/inbox, then moving a message
> from Drafts to the Thunderbird-displayed inbox works.

Doesn't Dovecot use /var/mail/$user then as the INBOX if
the .imap_mail/inbox doesn't exist?