[Dovecot] Feature Request for Proxy

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Sep 9 15:26:07 EEST 2007

Hi,  Quick feature request for the proxy function:

I have a couple of machines which are all customer facing and customer
mailbox lives on any one of them.  Customer can login to any machine and
the proxy feature then forwards them to the correct machine (often the
machine they are already connected to).  However, right now if the SQL
query simply returns the IP of the correct machine, and this happens to
be the same machine that the connection is already on, then we get the
auth process stuck in an infinite loop (and generating a lot of log
files...)

The quick fix is to customise each installation and add some kind of
WHERE clause to change the results IF result is already the same as the
machine we are on.  However, this is error prone when setting up new
machines and it's easy to forget or make a typo adjusting the config
files.  In my case I am using vservers and it's quite neat to be able to
simply copy the whole image and fire it up on a new IP to test an
upgrade, etc, hence easy to mess up adjusting the conf files when
creating a new image.

Any suggestions on how this could be done more dynamically, or else
could I raise a feature request that the auth process somehow realises
when it's being forwarded to an IP address that it's actually listening
on already already (ie it's a request which loops back to itself), thus
simplifying the config files?  I haven't cracked open the code, but it
sounds somewhat possible to check the list of IP addresses we are
currently listening on and check that the proxy dest isn't among them?

Cheers

Ed W