[Dovecot] xinetd and pop3

Kurt Krueckeberg kurtk at pobox.com
Mon Sep 10 19:57:03 EEST 2007

Is this the best way to get dovecot's pop3 process to run under xinetd? This
is what I did after I installed postfix and dovecot.
I am using Debian. I am using the dovecot local delivery agent.

---------first the dovecot configuration and version
information------------------
dovecot -n output:

# /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: pop3 pop3s
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_extra_groups: mail
mail_location: maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n
mail_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir: /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
pop3_uidl_format: %08Xu%08Xv
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
  userdb:
    driver: static
    args: uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/home/vmail/%d/%n allow_all_users=yes
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix
    master:
      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode: 384
      user: vmail

grep -v '^ *\(#.*\)\?$' /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf output:
driver = mysql
connect = host=127.0.0.1 dbname=mailserver user=mailuser password=XXXXXX
default_pass_scheme = PLAIN-MD5
password_query = SELECT email as user, password FROM view_users WHERE
email='%u';

dovecot --version: 1.0.rc15
---------------------------------------

1. created a file dovecot-pop3 under /etc/xinetd.d with this content:
service pop3
{
    disable     = no
    socket_type = stream
    protocol    = tcp
    wait        = no
    server      = /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
    user        = root
}

2. Terminated the dovecot master process
#kill -TERM <pid of dovecot>

3. Restarted xinetd
#/etc/init.d/xinetd restart

4. telnet'ed to pop3 port. Because I am using the dovecot local delivery
agent, postfix needs the dovecot master process and its associated processes
already first running; otherwise, postfix will not be able to use the
dovecot local delivery agent.

#telent localhost pop3
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to krueckeberg.org.