[Dovecot] Assertion failure in mail-index-view-sync.c

Doug Council dcouncil at nethere.com
Mon Sep 10 20:16:12 EEST 2007

I have been getting these assertion failures every couple days, killing
the IMAP process.  After it happens, I can login immediately and
everything is fine until it happens again.  Here is the log entry:

Sep 10 10:03:41 mailbox-4 dovecot: nh: IMAP(username): file
mail-index-view-sync.c: line 666 (mail_index_view_sync_end): assertion
failed: (view->log_file_offset >= view->map->hdr.log_file_int_offset)
Sep 10 10:03:41 mailbox-4 dovecot: child 38458 (imap) killed with signal 6

It started after I disabled indexing for deliver and IMAP:

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=MEMORY

I removed the dovecot.index* files from all of the maildir directories
(including the root/INBOX), but that didn't help.

I have upgraded to 1.0.5, but that didn't help either.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Thanks,
-Doug