[Dovecot] "unknown user" with: Dovecot Pop3 - SASL pam Postfix - Authtentification

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Sep 22 14:37:15 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 10:01 +0200, noracentral at gmx.net wrote:
> Hallo
>
> I build my Installation after HowTo with Archlinux packages:
>         http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/SimpleVirtualInstall

This HowTo shows how to use passwd-file.

> !!! unknown user dovecot: Sep 19 08:32:40 Info: auth(default):
> passwd(modernlove at verben.ch,77.56.100.9): unknown user

This shows that you're using passwd as your userdb, not passwd-file.

> dovecot: Sep 19 08:32:40 Info: auth(default): master out: USER  709
> modernlove at verben.ch    uid=1000        gid=101
> home=/home/vmail/modernlove at verben.ch

Then again this shows that it succeeds, which probably means that you
have both passwd and passwd-file configured. Look at "dovecot -n" output
to see if this is the case, and if so remove userdb passwd.