[Dovecot] Mixed Courier POP3 and Dovecot IMAP environment

Jan van den Berg jan.vandenberg at isp.solcon.nl
Mon Sep 24 14:29:25 EEST 2007

Hi,

Currently we support Courier POP and IMAP for all our users (users can
use IMAP as well as POP at the same time).

We are thinking about moving to Dovecot; but first moving away from
Courier IMAP to Dovecot IMAP (and maybe later also move to Dovecot POP).

This would create a mixed environment; after some research I have the
following questions.

To not break POP3 Courier and still be able to use Dovecot IMAP:

-          I have to use the namespace prefix in the dovecot.conf file:
I read this in the wiki.

-          "Patch" the source so Dovecot IMAP will look for/use
'courierimapuiddb' instead of 'dovecot-uidlist': otherwise I guess POP3
and IMAP users will have different UID files, right? Is this smart or
will this still break the UID file?

-          "Patch" the source so Dovecot IMAP will look for/use
'courierimapsubscribed' instead of 'subscriptions' of should I just go
with the renaming of the files?

I'm thinking about patching so the transition can be as transparent as
possible: Also if anything might go wrong in production I want to be
able to switch back to the 'old' Courier IMAP (without renaming files
etc.)

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Jan