[Dovecot] SORT(DATE) and missing Date headers

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Mon Sep 24 22:38:24 EEST 2007

Hello,

Occasionally, I get mail that's missing a Date header. The usual
suspects are iTunes weekly mailings and NYTimes email-to-a-friend
articles. I use qmail, which doesn't "fix" these malformed emails by
adding a Date header (like Sendmail does), so when they get to my
mailbox, they're just as badly formed as they were when they were
sent, which is to say, they have no Date header. Unfortunately, this
means that SORT (DATE) puts them at the beginning of the list---and in
a mailbox with lots of old mail, that's usually the wrong spot.

Now, my email clients will do some basic guesswork about when the
message was sent, usually by falling back on the timestamp of the
first-added Received header. So, they will display a date. But they
have to then sort all messages themselves in order to get a valid
sorting. Would it be possible to get Dovecot to fall back to Received
header parsing whenever a message is missing a Date header? The idea
is that SORT (DATE) would then become useful even in the face of
commonly malformed email. How hard would this be to hack into the
current Dovecot source? Does this maybe exist already (e.g. as SORT
(X-DATE)?

~Kyle
--
There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot,
jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.