[Dovecot] Auto create folder(s)

Bill Landry bill at inetmsg.com
Thu Sep 27 07:40:14 EEST 2007

Fábio M. Catunda wrote the following on 9/26/2007 3:01 PM -0800:
> I didnt know that maildrop generates a variable called RETURNCODE when
> you run some external commands, thanks for the advise!
>
> Anyway, even if maildrop is written in C++, it have to start a bash
> and run the external command. It's realy fast, but if you take a heavy
> loaded system it might put you in a lot problems!

With maildrop we are talking milliseconds in comparison to the time it
takes to do e-mail virus scanning and spam filtering.  From monitoring
the Postfix list, there appear to be some fairly large sites using
maildrop, and I never hear of any complaints with it.

> There are some tools to test a mailsystem, it generates a lot of
> messages and keep counting the mailqueue, in such situation you willl
> see hundreds of bashs started running what you have in maildroprc.
>
> The case here is not courier-imap, but in this case maildirmake it not
> enought to create a user maildir, you have to install the quota file
> too, so, maildrop might do the wrong job in such situation.

Maildrop can probably be configure to install the quota file.  Maildrop
also supports quota:

       -w N
           The -w N option places a warning message into the maildir if the
           maildir has a quota setting, and after the message was
successfully
           delivered the maildir was at least N percent full. The warning
           message is copied verbatim from /usr/local/etc/quotawarnmsg with
           the addition of the "Date:" and "Message-Id:" headers. The
warning
           is repeated every 24 hours (at least), until the maildir drops
           below N percent full.

> I'm new with dovecot, still dont know how to use quota, but if you
> need to read some aditional information from some db at the time of
> create the maildir, you probably will have troubles with maildrop too!
>
> I realy prefer to create mailboxes at the time of the account creation.

That's fine, you can always add maildirmake to some script that creates
the accounts and the mailboxes at the same time.

Bill