[Dovecot] shared mailboxes question

Benjamin R. Haskell dovecot at benizi.com
Thu Sep 27 23:44:38 EEST 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Cory Coager wrote:

> Hmm, this didn't work for me.  The namespace is empty, nothing to subscribe
> to.

Not sure if this is the problem, but it can't hurt to be more explicit:

>> It makes listing all user mailboxes possible. (Each test user I logged in
>> with made another mailbox appear in LIST "" "users/%" )

I didn't mention that the namespace was initially empty. But, each time a
user logged in, their maildir was created. With virtual users maybe the
same auto-creation doesn't take place.

I also didn't explicitly mention that each user's maildir is then at:
/var/mail/.username/{cur,new,tmp}

( Rather than: /var/mail/username/{cur,new,tmp} )

So, if you've already set up directories/folders for users, they'd need to
be converted to the new names (==moved) before they show up.

Also, in case something else is affecting things:
( This is my “toy” dovecot installation, so it's pretty bare-bones. Just
the gentoo settings. )

# dovecot -n
# 1.0.3: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
listen: [::]
ssl_cert_file: /etc/ssl/dovecot/server.pem
ssl_key_file: /etc/ssl/dovecot/server.key
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
mail_extra_groups: mail
mail_location: maildir:/var/mail/.%u:INDEX=/var/mail/.%u/dovecot
mail_debug: yes
mail_executable: /root/dovecot-login.sh
namespace:
   type: public
   separator: /
   prefix: users/
   location:
maildir:/var/mail/:CONTROL=/var/mail/.%u/control/users:INDEX=/var/mail/.%u/index/users
namespace:
   type: private
   separator: /
   inbox: yes