[Dovecot] Testing sieve filter

Cliff Meece cliff at cliffandkim.org
Fri Sep 28 21:37:45 EEST 2007

Hi,

I am trying to get sieve working with dovecot.  Dovecot itself is
working fine, and I have the following config:

root at master:/var/log# dovecot --version
1.0.rc2
root at master:/var/log# dovecot -n
# /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imap
ssl_disable: yes
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_extra_groups: mail
default_mail_env: maildir:/var/mail/%u
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd

I have this in my lda protocol:

mail_plugins = cmusieve

And I have created a .dovecot.sieve in both ~ and /var/mail/$user/ that
looks like this:

require "fileinto";
if exists "X-Spam-Flag" {
  fileinto "Junk";
}

No mail gets moved to the junk folder, nut it does arrive in my inbox
with the X-SPAM-Flag: Yes header.  How do I troubleshoot this?  I don't
see anywhere in the logs any errors or any mention whatsoever of
filtering activity or failure.

I have seen numerous pages on how to set this up, but they invariably
focus on setting up virtual users, which I do not need, so it isn't
clear which steps I can safely ignore.

thanks in advance,
Cliff