[Dovecot] plugin problem

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Sun Sep 30 11:26:50 EEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 09:30 +0200, Lars Stavholm wrote:

> >> The problem is that with the dspam setup I'm using, i.e. 3.8.0,
> >> Hash driver, shared group, etc. I usually get "signature not
> >> found",
> >
> > The message from my plugin? I'm guessing then there's some problem with
> > your setup and you didn't configure dspam to put the signature into the
> > header?
>
> I definitely have a dspam setup problem, never got the
> signatures working with the hash drive.

Odd. I definitely have that working just fine.

> Input Options
> -------------
> The plugin input options was easy, it seems that dovecot
> simply puts the options line into an env variable that
> can be read with the getenv() call, e.g.:
>
> dovecot.conf:
> protocol imap {
>   mail_plugins = dspam
> }
> plugin {
>   # dspam path ':' spam folder ':' [no]signature ':' ignore
>   dspam = /usr/sbin/dspam:Spam:signature:Trash
> }
>
> ...and in the dspam plugin code I simply parse the result
> from getenv("DSPAM") and there's the input options.
>
> In a future version one might add the ability to ignore
> more than one folder.

Hey that looks good.

> Processing
> ----------
> I've tried to setup dspam with hash drive and signatures,
> to no avail, I just can't get it to work, dspam does not
> find the signature in the storage area. Don't know why.

Ah, you have a different problem then, ok.

> Does anyone have a dspam.conf you could share with me?

I'll send you mine in private mail.

> Possibly dspam build options as well?

Using debian's packages.

> Another (mildly stupid maybe) question: why the fork()
> in the original dspam plugin? Seems to me that the fork()
> + waitpid() doesn't really allow for any advantage over
> a simple popen() and read the output? I have a sneaky
> feeling that I'm missing something vital here.

popen() just forks/execs too, no? Coming from a kernel hacking
background I'm more familiar with the low level details. Blame it on
that.

johannes