[Dovecot] help on MailLocation please!

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Dec 1 13:09:05 EET 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Li Wei Nan wrote:

> 	I'm now using dovecot with a POP3&SMTP server called JAMES. I want
> dovecot and james to share the email location. Both dovecot and
> james can store email in mbox format. However, the james will only
> store mbox mail repo in a fixed dir, such as: /var/mail/
> 	And it will naming each user's mbox repo by its name, such as /var/
> mail/tom or /var/mail/peter, etc. So I have to config dovecot for it
> to fit the situation. So I config dovecot as:
>
> 	mail_location = mbox:/var/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>
> 	The inbox get worked now, dovecot can read the mbox file created by
> james correctly. However, dovecot make each user's Trash, Sent in
> same directory: /var/mail. So it means all the user just have one
> Trash, Sent. I've read the Wiki carefully and tried some different
> config and still cannot get it work.

You'll have to give a per-user directory where Dovecot can store the
mails. Since POP3 supports only one mailbox, James doesn't need to
know about this directory. You could use for example:

mail_location = mbox:/var/mail/folders/%u:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

> 	- Let dovecot read everyone's inbox at: /var/mail/%u (it's a mbox
> file, not dir)
> 	- Let dovecot store everyone's Trash, Sent in /var/mail/%u/mail

/var/mail/%u is a file, you can't use it as a directory.