[Dovecot] Loginname - mapping

Roald Amundsen roalda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 22:49:30 EET 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 21:49 +0100, Roald Amundsen wrote:
>> Is there any facility to let dovecot do username mapping?
>>
>> If I eg have a file: usermapping that looks like this:
>>
>> user at domain1.com	domain1_user
>> user at domain2.com	user_domain2
>> user at domain3.com	domain3.user
>
> Yes, but can you change your passdb? You can use any passdb that allows
> specifying user=user at domain extra field
> (http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields). For example with
> passwd-file (http://wiki.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/PasswdFile):
>
> domain1_user:{plain}pass:1000:1000::/home/domain1.com/user::user=user at domain1.com

Thanks, this seems to be what I am looking for. However, I am not sure
if I am reading the links right. I am supposed to make a custom
passwd-file, and point dovecot to this?

I can use a script to parse genericstable or even virtusertable and add
this information at the end of the dovecot-passwd-file?

And I can still use /etc/passwd as a fallback in case something goes
wrong? As long as I keep userdb passwd in dovecot.conf?

Well, I think I should be reading some more documentation and look at
the example configs on the wiki. Thanks for the help!

--
Roald Amundsen