[Dovecot] data retention and e-discovery rules

Ronald MacDonald ronald at rmacd.com
Tue Dec 2 19:11:38 EET 2008

Hi Trever

On 02/12/2008, Trever L. Adams <trever.adams at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>  I am in the United States where we have e-discovery rules. Some
> organizations have to retain data for a certain amount of time, others are
> required to have a data retention policy.
>  Is there anything like this in dovecot? Is it possible to use cron jobs to
> see when the message was deleted (Maildir) and erase it based on policy?
> (Python scripts are fine if the users password isn't needed.)
>
>  Thank you,
>  Trever Adams

Cyrus, I know for a fact, supports data retention policies, but I
guess you'd just need to be imaginative when it comes to using
Dovecot. I personally have all mail blindly bcc'd to a mailbox to
which only I have access, but I'm doing that before delivery (using
postfix's always_bcc) instead of at the dovecot/mail delivery end. It
seems to work fine.

Otherwise, what you could look at doing is setting up the cron job, as
you say, to mirror any files that have appeared in the mailbox.

Just my 2c

Best regards,
Ronald.

--