[Dovecot] data retention and e-discovery rules

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 2 20:48:16 EET 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 7:47 PM, Trever L. Adams wrote:

> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> One possibility is http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Lazyexpunge
>>

> This is exactly what I am looking for, except two things:
>
> The cron job shown on that URL seems to not work off of the date the
> message was deleted. Am I correct?

It uses -cmin, meaning the message's ctime. It's usually the delete
time (ctime gets updated by rename()) but it could also be later if
the same message had been copied to another mailbox and it was changed
there (expunged, copied, flag changed, etc).

You could also use expire plugin which actually uses the delete time.

> The URL mentions that it should be possible to keep the user from
> accessing the namespaces, is this under the namespace configuration?

Well, there's currently no way to prevent user from accessing them,
but security through obscurity works well here :) Just use a namespace
prefix that's not easily guessable and set list=no hidden=yes.