[Dovecot] qmail and LDA: passdb didn't return userdb entries

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Fri Dec 5 23:34:28 EET 2008

On Tuesday, December  2 at 03:35 PM, quoth Alessio Cecchi:
>i'm testing Dovecot LDA to works with qmail and vpopmail. I have
>added into a .qmail for a users this line:
>
>root at test.com: /home/vpopmail/domains/test.com/0/test# cat .qmail
>
>| /var/qmail/bin/preline -f /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d $EXT@$USER

The easiest way to do this is to follow the instructions on the wiki
(http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA). Dovecot's `deliver` needs to know two
things: the $HOME and the FROM_ENVELOPE. Why does it need the latter?
I haven't a clue. But this should work for you:

| /var/qmail/bin/preline -f /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -f ${SENDER:-<>}

Using the -d flag is a bad idea unless your dovecot is set up with a
passdb and userdb.

The problem for you with instituting a static userdb is that you've
enabled user hashing in vpopmail. On my system, I can use this:

     userdb static {
     args = uid=XXX gid=XXX home=/var/lib/vpopmail/domains/%Ld/%Ln allow_all_users=yes
     }

But that won't work for you because the location of the home directory
isn't so simple on your system. I don't know how to tell Dovecot how
to hash user directories the way that vpopmail does.

>I have read in the wiki that deliver needed to know some much
>information about users, like HOMEDIR, but this information are not
>returned by vpopmail authentication?

It also needs the -f flag (for unknown reasons) AND you need to avoid
the -d flag (the -d flag tells deliver to ignore the $HOME environment
variable and to attempt to look up the home directory in the userdb
which, as you've noticed, can be tricky).

~Kyle
--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
                                                         -- H. G. Wells