[Dovecot] Source patches from Apple

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Dec 13 19:35:13 EET 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 10:07 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
>>> Wow.. I can't imagine NOT running a mail server without a
>>> firewall...
>>>
>>> Different strokes for different folks I guess...  :)
>
>> He said "_ON_ my mail server". he didn't say that he doesn't have a
>> firewall between the mail server and the jungle notwork  ;-P
>
> I know... but I believe in layered security. I run a firewall in front
> of the mail (or other) server, but I also run one ON the mail (or
> other)
> server... ;-p

   My network security is handled elsewhere.  I too believe in
layered security, but my desire to use the right tool for the job is
much stronger.  My mail server is busy serving mail; my network
security is handled by equipment built and optimized for that job.

> It's not like it costs anything extra.... :)

   Well...that's the attitude that got us operating systems that need
a gigabyte of memory just to boot, and processors clocked at 3GHz
that give me the same useful performance as my 4MHz Z80 twenty years
ago. ;)  Nothing is free.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire