[Dovecot] 1.1.7: quota problem, unable to delete mails when quota exceeded

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Dec 15 09:49:54 EET 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 08:44 +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When user exceeds it's quota then dovecot can't create it's files and it's
> showing zero mails :( This also means that user is unable to delete it's own
> mails. Sounds like kind-of bug, right?
>
> Dec 15 08:28:37 mbox1 dovecot: IMAP(xxx):
> open(/var/mail/xxx/dovecot-uidlist.lock) failed: Disk quota exceeded
> Dec 15 08:28:37 mbox1 dovecot: IMAP(kdudus):
> file_dotlock_create(/var/mail/xxx/dovecot-uidlist) failed: Disk quota
> exceeded

I don't think the mbox file should be modified if it's not locked. I
suppose it's not very ideal either if user can't delete mails then, but
at least the mailbox doesn't get corrupted.

Anyway, you most likely don't really need to use dotlocks at all. Just
make sure that your MDA uses fcntl locks and set mbox_write_locks=fcntl.

Also I think Dovecot v1.1 should be able to open the mailbox read-only
even if it can't create the dotlock? Are you using v1.0?