[Dovecot] 1.1.7: quota problem, unable to delete mails when quota exceeded

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Dec 15 11:07:55 EET 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 09:40 +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> > > Will look. Right now I'm trying to move CONTROL to other fs where quota
> > > doesn't apply to see what will happen.
>
> Done that and now I see a lot of " Expunged message reappeared, giving a new
> UID (old uid=10753, file=...)" ugh :-/
>
> I guess now imap clients will see these as new messages?
>
> Also ": IMAP(bo): /var/lib/dovecot/control/xxx/.INBOX/dovecot-uidlist:
> Duplicate file entry at line..."
>
> Weird, these are fresly created control files and now they contain duplicates.

So all your control files were being recreated, but index files weren't?
I guess that confused Dovecot somehow. The error messages probably
aren't exactly correct, but you created a broken condition anyway. :)

> Last question, what permissions are needed for /var/lib/dovecot/control/ if
> it's used as CONTROL= and users use different uid/gids? Right now I have
> a+rwx which doesn't look nice and root:root 660 also didn't make dovecot
> happy.

I guess you could make it also +t. There's really no better way since
the directories aren't created as root.