[Dovecot] Is there a straight forward way to associate login with imap process

Jack Stewart jstewart at caltech.edu
Tue Dec 23 04:20:11 EET 2008

Jack Stewart wrote:

> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 22, 2008, at 9:01 PM, Jack Stewart wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>

>> What kind of a locking issue? Hangs?
>>

> The clients are hanging. There are at least a couple of different types
> of locking issues. In both cases the dovecot.cache.index file does not
> update. Based on lslk, in one case the lock on the file appears
> persistent but not in the others. Removing the dovecot.cache.index file
> appears and sending a term signal to the locking process (or all
> processes) removes the issue for the user.

As a quick follow-up to the locking issue, we found someone who has a
reasonable repeatable configuration. His main client is pine and turning
off IDLE in GNU biff appears to solved his locking problem.

I'm not convinced this is the only (or core) issue but we've turned off
IDLE (advertisement) for now. It seems to be working.

This just might be a helpful stop gap for someone else, so I'm posting,
although I doubt that anyone else is in a similar setup.