[Dovecot] /etc/dovecot.conf says mkcert.sh is in doc/mkcert.sh but instead it is in /usr/libexec/dovecot/mkcert.sh

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Thu Dec 25 02:26:11 EET 2008

Michael McNamara a écrit :
> Perhaps this is an issue unique to installing from an RPM, but:
>
> % dovecot -n
> # 1.1.7: /etc/dovecot.conf
> # OS: Linux 2.6.27.7-134.fc10.i686 i686 Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)
>
> /etc/dovecot.conf says:
> ##
> ## SSL settings
> ##
>
> # IP or host address where to listen in for SSL connections. Defaults
> # to above if not specified.
> #ssl_listen =
>
> # Disable SSL/TLS support.
> #ssl_disable = no
>
> # PEM encoded X.509 SSL/TLS certificate and private key. They're opened
> before
> # dropping root privileges, so keep the key file unreadable by anyone but
> # root. *Included doc/mkcert.sh can be used to easily generate self-signed*
> # certificate, just make sure to update the domains in dovecot-openssl.cnf
> #ssl_cert_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
> #ssl_key_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
>
> However, installing dovecot from an rpm places mkcert.sh in:
> % rpm -qv dovecot
> dovecot-1.1.7-1.fc10.i386
> % rpm -V -v dovecot
> S.5....T  c /etc/dovecot.conf
> ........  c /etc/pam.d/dovecot
> ........    /etc/pki/dovecot
> ........    /usr/libexec/dovecot/logview
> ........    /usr/libexec/dovecot/maildirlock
> *........    /usr/libexec/dovecot/mkcert.sh   *
> ........    /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
> ........    /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login

Different packagers put files in different places. for example, freebsd
ports put this in
/usr/local/share/examples/dovecot/mkcert.sh
but the comments are the same.

debian removes the comments (and I don't see any mkcert.sh).

This is not considered essential, because there are many scripts/tools
around to help generate certificates.

that said, you could ping the package maintainer so that he removes or
updates the comments (but don't say it is critical as this would make
him angry!).