[Dovecot] Password field limitations

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Thu Dec 25 19:17:18 EET 2008

Charles Marcus a écrit :
> On 12/23/2008 12:25 PM, Luigi Rosa wrote:
>>> If I'm not mistaken, dovecot doesn't care - this will be a limitation of
>>> your Filesystem and/or password storage tool... in this case, MySQL...
>
>> I Use MySQL and I don't have such kind of limitations.
>>
>> I would blame Tom's MySQL interface or implementation, but not MySQL itself.
>
> I certainly didn't intend to mean it was a Mysql limitation in general -
> I'm using it too for my user/password backend, and have all of these
> characters available in passwords:
>
> `~!@#$%^&*()_-+={}|[]:;<>?,.
>
> More than likely it is a system library or charset issue, or something
> like that...

that would be really surprising. I am most inclined to think that the
password change is done via a (buggy) web interface or a buggy script.
or maybe it is a PEBCAK?

so Tom needs to

- reproduce the problem (to confirm the customer claim or to detect the
PEBCAK)

- describe how exactly the password is changed (what programs are involved)

- describe what OS and software is being used.