[Dovecot] automounting home dirs

Roger Hale rwshale at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 28 17:53:43 EET 2008

Hi,

I'm running dovecot-1.0.10 on a Solaris 10 server with home dirs automounted over NFS. I have set the mail_location configuration option so that nothing should be written to a user's home dir over NFS but, as far as I can tell, dovecot still by default tries to chdir to a user's home dir when reading mail, although this is not required. This creates additional unnecessary load on a heavily-loaded fileserver and generally slows everything down and creates an unnecessary dependency.

Is there a way to prevent dovecot from causing the home dirs to be mounted?

I found this thread: http://markmail.org/message/umywuppl3vvzfe4p#query:dovecot%20mount%20home%20directory+page:3+mid:fgr4g6pup5y6qbcr+state:results
which discusses the same problem, but it's quite old and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer other than hacking the passwd file or the code.

Is there a more elegant solution?

TIA.