[Dovecot] NFS, IDLE, and index locking

Jack Stewart jstewart at caltech.edu
Wed Dec 31 16:49:02 EET 2008

..
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:11:08 +0200 "Timo Sirainen" <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>On Dec 31, 2008, at 4:24 AM, Jack Stewart wrote:
>
>> The attribute cache is the default (60 seconds) which works well
>> enough in a polling setting but may be a problem with IDLE (30
>> second check).
>..
>> mail_nfs_index = yes
>> mail_nfs_storage = yes
>
>What OS are you using? With mail_nfs_*=yes Dovecot is supposed to
>flush attribute cache whenever necessary so it shouldn't make much of
>a difference what value you set attribute cache to.

We're using Redhat Enterprise 5.

The maildir and dovecot uidlist files work great - the problem only impacts
index cache for a handful of users.

There are enough fixes from 1.1.4 to 1.1.7+ that this problem may already
be addressed. I noticed a flush patch targetting Solaris/Linux and also a
lock/race condition patch.

It sounds like attribute cache is unlikely to be an issue so  I'll spend
some more debug time on this. It will be good, if possible, to create a
script that can reliably and quickly reproduce the problem.  If so, then it
is strace, kernel debug, and incremental patch  time.

---Jack