[Dovecot] Dovecot indexing questions

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Jan 8 09:51:00 EET 2008

I was playing with Dovecot 1.1 full text indexing through Squat in late
October, which was working pretty well.  I wanted to ask about this
behavior I had:

When an email arrives in INBOX using procmail (which delivers to my
Maildirs), and I see it in Dovecot, when I next do a search (IMAP SEARCH
TEXT) of that folder, the search takes a long time.  Successive searches
are lickety-split.

My question is: Can there be an option to "index greedily"?  As soon as
Dovecot sees the message, I'd like it to update the Squat index.  That
way, searches are always fast.

I guess this implies a small performance hit - namely, that my IMAP server
spends CPU and disk time indexing every message at the first time it is
seen rather than being able to do batch indexing each time SEARCH TEXT is
issued.  But when I think about that, that sounds like the server
can waste its time so I don't waste mine - which is exactly why I
like these computing machines!

(That, and because I can waste my time programming them.)

-- Asheesh.

--
Use extra care when cleaning on stairs.