[Dovecot] Segfault in imap_bodystructure_write when searching

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jun 1 14:48:06 EEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 21:36 +0200, Christer Mjellem Strand wrote:
> Whenever I try to search on my dovecot test install, dovecot dies. It
> immediately spawns a new process, which the client tries to connect to, and
> send search commands to, causing that to die, and so forth. This loop means I
> have to kill either the server or the client.

Your dovecot.index.cache file is probably broken somehow. Try moving
dovecot.index* files elsewhere and see if it works then? If it does and
dovecot.index.cache doesn't contain anything too sensitive
(subjects/from/to addresses), could you send me the dovecot.index*
files?

If it crashes even without dovecot.index* files then the mails
themselves contain a broken message. It would help if I could get that
message.

> betty - ~vpopmail/domains/bar.com/foo # gdb /usr/lib/dovecot/imap core
..
> (no debugging symbols found)
> Core was generated by `imap'.
> #0  0x080a539d in imap_bodystructure_write ()
> (gdb) bt full
> #0  0x080a539d in imap_bodystructure_write ()
> No symbol table info available.
> #1  0x08083b5c in ?? ()

Unfortunately this backtrace is almost completely broken and it doesn't
really help.. You also could try compiling Dovecot itself with debug
symbols and getting backtrace from it. That'd probably work.