[Dovecot] spamassassin, postfix with dovecot lda?

Egbert Jan van den Bussche egbert at vandenbussche.nl
Mon Jun 2 16:26:22 EEST 2008

George Mamalakis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to setup a mail server using postfix (virtual_mailboxes),
> spamassassin and dovecot, along with SQL where appropriate. From my
> research so far I realized that, for several reasons, it is required
> for me to use dovecot LDA instead of maildrop, local, procmail or
> other alternatives.
>
> My configuration was working flawlessly, until spamassassin per-user
> configuration came to play. If I just wanted an MTA anti-spam gateway,
> I could directly call spamassassin via master.cf, or through some
> helper "content-filter-application" (like amavis or amavisd-new), and
> everything would work just fine (I tried and tested many such
> configurations with success). But when antispam per user preferences
> became my concern (Bayesian filters and classifier), I realized that
> spamd should be called by the LDA. With procmail this was a trivial
> issue, with dovecot-lda I was unable to find any solution on the web
> or other documentation.
>
> So my question is as follows:
>    Is there a way to call spamc from dovecot-LDA (and/or
> dovecot-sieve), or is there an alternate way to do this for a site
> with virtual mailboxes configured with dovecot-lda?
>
> Thank you all in advance,
>
> regards,

Hi George. You seem to have a similar setup as I have here. I found
www.postfixvirtual.net most useful! Do have a look there.

I just had a 12 hour fight to get all running again after a upgrade from
Mandriva 2008.0 to 2008.1. That should have been trivial but I had all
sort of issues with amavisd missing perl modules. Well, finally solved
that one again.

Egbert Jan (NL)