[Dovecot] Re maintenance of the dovecot-uidlist files

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jun 4 05:30:16 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 16:49 -0700, Dann Daggett wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I am new to dovecot, using ver 1.0.13 and IMAP with ~/Maildir delivery.
> I have noticed that the entries in the dovecot-uidlist files don't seem
> to get updated when an email is deleted or moved to .Trash. It appears
> that this list list would just keep growing over time, being full of no
> longer used filenames, and must tend to increase its processing
> overhead.

The deleted entries are removed when a new message arrives to the
mailbox. So it's just an optimization not to waste disk I/O on rewriting
the file when it's not necessary. If this isn't happening, there's
something wrong or you're misunderstanding something.

> I have also noticed that if I manually delete that file and the 3 other
> dovecot* files, that it gets rebuilt with only what's present.

Sure, but that also causes clients to see them as new messages and
redownload them.