[Dovecot] Auto creating client folders on the IMAP server after installing client.

Radio Tron paleywiener at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 16:36:01 EEST 2008

Hello, could someone help. I have installed Dovecot+SSL+TLS+Thunderbird and all is well except one thing. After installing TBird and adding the required data (smtp server and auth info, imap/pop server and auth info) I am able to view mail in my TBird Inbox BUT Trash and Sent don't work - it pops up saying folder doesn't exist on the server - can't the darn thing, auto create a folder on the server instead of cribbing to me???

Is there a painless (automatic way) to auto create client directories on the Dovecot server (in the users home dir on the server - i am using maildir/). I don't want to maintain a list of clients(TBird, outlook, eudora..) with their directory structure and then remember what user has what clients installed and Gahhh! How do i do this??

Is this explained/documented somewhere in simple language(for a newbie - I'm struggling through the RFC's but they are awfully obscure and don't seem to answer my question directly)? I've also googled but that's worse.

Thank you for your patience and time. I'd like to add that I plan to sync GMail, Dovecot and a multitude-of-stupid-clients in some mysterious way so any advice in advance is more than welcome.