[Dovecot] outlook windows problem

rashantha de silva rashantha at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 22:18:21 EEST 2008

base_dir = /usr/local/cutedge/dovecot/var/run/
login_dir = /usr/local/cutedge/dovecot/var/run/login
mail_location = maildir:~/Mail/Dovecot
auth_executable = /usr/local/cutedge/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth

protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s

ssl_cert_file = /System/Library/OpenSSL/certs/imapd.pem
ssl_key_file = /System/Library/OpenSSL/certs/imapd.pem

protocol imap {
        login_executable = /usr/local/cutedge/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
        mail_executable = /usr/local/cutedge/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap
        mail_plugin_dir = /usr/local/cutedge/dovecot/lib/dovecot/imap
        listen = *:143
        ssl_listen = *:993
}

protocol pop3 {
        login_executable = /usr/local/cutedge/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
        mail_executable = /usr/local/cutedge/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/pop3
        mail_plugin_dir = /usr/local/cutedge/dovecot/lib/dovecot/pop3
        pop3_uidl_format = %08Xv%08Xu
        listen = *:110
        ssl_listen = *:995
}

disable_plaintext_auth = no

auth default {
      mechanisms = plain login
      passdb pam {
      }
      userdb passwd {
      }
}

You should enable outlook-idle workaround with IMAP.

You should enable outlook-no-nuls workaround with POP3.

Outlook 2003 has problems with older Dovecot's default POP3 UIDL
format, which causes it to download the same mails over and over again
if "leave mails to server" option is enabled. See pop3_uidl_format
setting.

Outlook Express 6

Using "Headers only" synchronization is buggy and can cause "Message
is no longer available on this server" error when opening a mail. This
isn't Dovecot specific problem, and I'm not aware of any possible
workarounds at the moment for this in server side.

You should enable outlook-idle and delay-newmail workarounds for IMAP.

You should enable outlook-no-nuls and oe-ns-eoh workarounds for POP3.