[Dovecot] Antispam plugin custom behavior?

Hugo Monteiro hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Wed Jun 11 19:01:15 EEST 2008

Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently have a setup on my system with what I call "magic folders"
> to enable spam filter training. Here's how it works:
>
>     1. If you have a false-negative, put the spam into the Spam.Report
>     folder
>     2. If you have a false-positive (which has all kinds of ugly
>     spamassassin protective markup in it), put the message into the
>     Spam.NotSpam folder
>
> Currently what happens is that a cron job comes along every five
> minutes and processes the messages in those folders. In the case of
> the NotSpam folder, it strips the message of the spamassassin markup,
> retrains the bayesian net, and redelivers the message (e.g. via
> deliver). In the case of the Report folder, the message is used to
> train the bayesian net (among other things) and then deleted.
>
> I'd love to be able to trigger these actions when the mail is moved,
> rather than have a cron job inspecting the mailboxes.
>
> I looked into the antispam plugin
> (http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/Projects/dovecot-antispam), which
> seems nice but doesn't appear sufficiently generic for my needs. What
> would really work is if I could get it set up such that putting a
> message into either of those directories is turned into piping the
> message to a script of my choosing (a different one for each folder).
>
> Does anyone know a good way of getting my own custom behavior in here,
> or is my cronjob setup probably the best way?
>
> ~Kyle

Hello Kyle,

Have you tried the plugin using the mailtrain backend? Basically it will
forward the message, as attachment, to spam/notspam addresses that you
define. That includes the use of a %u variable expansion, if you choose
to use retrain addresses like like spam-username at domain.com or
something. I've been pretty happy with with it and it scales a lot
better than piping the message into a retrain command, since the mail
system itself will handle the load in a more intelligent way.

Regards,

Hugo Monteiro.

--
ci.fct.unl.pt:~# cat .signature

Hugo Monteiro
Email	 : hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Telefone : +351 212948300 Ext.15307

Centro de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da
		   Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Quinta da Torre   2829-516 Caparica   Portugal
Telefone: +351 212948596   Fax: +351 212948548
www.ci.fct.unl.pt	      apoio at fct.unl.pt

ci.fct.unl.pt:~# _