[Dovecot] Mutually exclusive Exim setup instructions

cam at ellisonpsychology.ca cam at ellisonpsychology.ca
Thu Jun 12 02:10:50 EEST 2008

> The correct way has to be one or the other:
>

> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Exim
>
> are mutually exclusive with
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/DebianStable
>
> It appears that exim can either call dovecot's LDA or make the delivery
> itself.  There may
> be good reasons to do it one way or the other.

Sorry to be diving into this issue so late, but I just noticed this email.
 You may be able to answer a question I have.  At the moment, I use Exim
and Dovecot, and have things set up to use imapd, using Dovecot as the
LDA.  It worked fine for a while, but with upgrades I am now unable to
send email out using Thunderbird (for example - this applies to KMail and
Sylpheed as well).  Exim treats it as a relay, and bans it.  Curiously,
using these from another machine works fine.  Also fine is sending mail
internally, from a cron job for example, or to external addresses from my
website.

It seems that the router setting in Exim is the problem, and the better
solution is to use Exim as the LDA, but if one does not use Dovecot as the
LDA, what's the point of having it?  I installed it originally to be able
to use Squirrelmail when I'm on the road.  Now I'm using it all the time.

What am I missing here?

Cheers

Cam

--