[Dovecot] Need a quick, safe method to empty /home/user/Maildir/{.Junk, .Trash}

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Jun 13 02:28:13 EEST 2008

At 1:17 AM +0300 6/13/08, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 11:10 -0400, Bill Cole wrote:

[...]
>>  However, I DO clobber the dovecot-uidlist in .Trash as part of my
>>  monthly housekeeping because it tends to get very large
>
>All the expunged messages get removed from it the next time a new
>message is added to the mailbox. So there should be no need to delete
>it. (v1.1 doesn't always recreate the file, but it gets rewritten if the
>resulting file would be 70% of the current size or less.)

I confess to running 1.0.0, which apparently lacks this bit of housekeeping.

At the moment I have no messages in my Trash folder (so there are no
files in ~/Maildir/.Trash/cur) and ~Maildir/.Trash/dovecot-uidlist
has 10273 lines, and the first messages listed are nowhere to be
found anywhere under Maildir. A quick scan of Maildir shows that of
14 logical folders including the inbox, 6 have dovecot-uidlist files
whose linecount is greater than the number of files in cur plus one.

Looking at which directories have oversized dovecot-uidlist files, it
seems like they are the ones that do not get direct deliveries of new
mail but only receive messages by an IMAP client shuffling messages
around.
--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com