[Dovecot] How many imap processes per user

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 13 12:30:52 EEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 10:58 +0200, Martijn de Munnik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using dovecot for the first time on a production server (before
> dovecot I used bincimapd). I have a question about the number of imap
> (not imap-login) processes created for a user. I've seen 100+
> processes for just 1 user. So far it only occurs for 1 user, other
> users have just 1 imap process. I now the user is using thunderbird
> and 2 mailclients are logged in at the same time (one workstation and
> one laptop). Is there an issue with dovecot/thunderbird?

I think Thunderbird's default is to create max. 5 connections to the
server, so 100+ processes isn't normal for a single user. Have you
checked if there's anything in Dovecot's error logs
(http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging)?

Anyway it's possible that there's nothing wrong in Dovecot's side and TB
is just misbehaving for some reason, like maybe got confused by the
switch from binc imap? Recreating the account might help.

With Dovecot v1.1 it's possible to limit the max. number of processes
per user per IP address (set to 10 by default). That would also solve
your problem (but maybe not the user's problem).