[Dovecot] 9GB of messages in /tmp

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 13 17:55:00 EEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 17:09 +0300, Uldis Pakuls wrote:
> Same situation with dovecot - I tired to delete ~ 120 000 messages form
> "catch-all-possible-spam" mailbox using Thunderbird.  Filter out
> messages older than  7 days was successfully. Thunderbird failed to
> delete them (locked up)... i got salted imap process,  locked
> dovecot-uidlist  file (dovecot-uidlist.lock) in maildir with /tmp full
> of new spam... as it continue to arrive (frquncy is aubout 2-3 messages
> per sec, server hosts ~500 domains.).
> dovecot v 1.0.12

I suppose you're using Dovecot deliver? v1.1's deliver no longer
requires dovecot-uidlist.lock - if it exists it immediately just
delivers the mail without updating dovecot-uidlist or indexes.

I guess 120k takes a while to copy in any case, but I hope you have
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks=yes set? Then it shouldn't at least take
forever. :)