[Dovecot] Time moved backwards by 4398 seconds

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Fri Jun 20 12:28:30 EEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 11:10 +0200, Anders wrote:
> Johannes Berg <johannes at sipsolutions.net> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 10:53 +0200, Anders wrote:
> >>
> >> I was puzzled that it was always 4398 seconds, in particular because
> >> this server runs an NTP daemon. A little searching for this problem
> >> shows that it is an issue with the Linux kernel gettimeofday(), see
> >> e.g. http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/23/96
> >
> > The thread puts it down to buggy hardware and puts a workaround into the
> > kernel where it belongs, not in dovecot.
>
> That's not helpful.
>
> By that line, the entire "time moved backwards" thing does not belong
> in Dovecot.

Why? That's a different thing, dovecot is detecting that something is
wrong and that it will be unsafe for it to continue operating. That's an
entirely different class than trying to work around the detected
problem, imho.

> Anyway, I was not proposing the patch to be included, just asking for
> advice as to whether it would be safe. I even noted that it was ugly.

Ok. Yeah, it does seem safe, but as Timo said it'll loop there in case
there is an actual forward jump.

> As I am already compiling Dovecot myself, I prefer a patch there,
> rather than diverting from the distribution kernel.

Heh, ok.

johannes